Accessibility | Follow Us
Youtube Icon

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

What is Disabled Students’ Allowance?

As a Higher Education (HE) student you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). This is paid on top of other student finance and helps to pay the extra costs you may incur because of your disability. The amount you receive will be dependent on your individual needs rather than household income. DSA does not have to be repaid.

With Disabled Students’ Allowance you can get help with the cost of:

  • additional travel expenses incurred by your disability, including taxis
  • specialist equipment, for example specialist text-to-speech software
  • non-medical support such as a note-taker, sighted guide, specialist Mentor, study skills support, specialist transcription or mobility training
  • other related costs of studying incurred due to your disability, including audio books, braille books, large print books.

Criteria for Disabled Students’ Allowance

  • have a condition that affects your ability to study
  • qualify for student finance
  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student
  • studying on a course that lasts at least a year

How to Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you want to find out more or would like to apply for DSA, please visit GOV.UK’s information on DSA. You will need to have already qualified for student finance.

Needs Assessment

Once confirmation of your DSA has been received, you will be asked to contact an assessment centre for a Needs Assessment. It is important that you attend this assessment fully prepared, and aware of the specialist equipment you may require, or support that may be useful to you. Once completed, you will receive a report listing the equipment and support being granted to you.